Briefly, Joe believes in quality, fully-funded public education, access for all to both physical and mental health services, and the creation of jobs through public investment in infrastructure improvements, especially as pertains to public schools, parks and transportation.
Platform Proposals by Joe Laiacona
- Stronger Local School Councils
- An elected, accountable School Board
- Moratorium on new Charter Schools
- Fully fund our public schools
- Reduce the burden of standardized testing
- Open, public, elected, not appointed, Democratic Ward Committees and Committeemen
- Participatory ward budgeting
- Simple access to ballot status for candidates
- Elect, don’t appoint, replacements to the offices of Alderman, State Rep, etc.
- Give the Inspector General subpoena power to do his job.
- Illinois Fair Map for districting
- Find creative ways for the city to buy goods and services locally.
- Create a non-profit, city-owned bank for city-wide use.
- Reform Tax Increment Financing (TIF)
- Raise the minimum wage
- Fair share income tax
- More police walking beats
- Revise City Council’s parliamentary rules so that proposals don’t get stuck in committee.
- Reopen neighborhood mental health clinics
- Stop outsourcing jobs and bring them back to Chicago
- Restore health insurance benefits to city employees.
- Affordable housing.